As promised, here are the aggregated news sources that your UC Dems Exec Board prefers. Be sure to add this to your daily digest for all things Chicago and Illinois (mostly Chicago though).
- The “Alternative” weekly tabloid is noted for its literary style of journalism, its coverage of the arts, and for its creative nonfiction bit. Very readable. Founded by some dudes from Carleton College.
- Owned by Wrapports LLC, the parent company of the Sun Times.
- Notable Journalist: Ben Joravsky in the Reader “if you are left enough”
Chicago Sun Times
- Amongst the big newspapers in Chicago, the Sun Times probably leans “left” the most (and we’re talking mostly about the Editorial Staff). The Sun Times is a top 10 nationally circulated newspaper. The Sun Times’ most famous writer was critic Roger Ebert, who sadly passed away last year.
- Notable Journalist: Fran Spielman’s Early & Often Political Column is a must read. Spielman has been with the Sun Times since 1985, and covered City Hall and Mayors since Richard J. Daley. She is also a vocal and notable foil to Mayor Emanuel.
- Owned by Wrapports LLC, the parent company of Sun Times media
- This daily newspaper continues to be the most widely read in the Chicago Metropolitan & Great Lakes region, and has become the 8th most nationally circulated paper in the U.S.
- The “Trib”, was founded in 1847. It called itself “The World’s Greatest Newspaper” for which WGN television and commercial was named after. Its former self-motto was “An American Paper for Americans.” Voraciously conservative on the editorial side, the Trib is very critical of supermajority rule by Democrats in Illinois and Chicago.
- Owned by Tribune Publishing, which also owns the Los Angeles Times.
- DNAinfo prides itself on its local neighborhood coverage, including breaking news and crime coverage.
- DNAinfo is probably the most “in your neighborhood just reporting the facts” kind of thing — trying to put a face on the victims of Chicago’s violence. Neighborhood centric is an understatement.
- Rich Miller is all of capitolfax. He is the sole editor, reporter, publisher, and founder for this website. He’s literally “just a guy in a basement trying to provide the news.” Started long before internet blogs existed, he once upon a time actually faxed the news. This guy is legit. More Springfield focused.
Crain’s Chicago Business
- The weekly business newspaper in Chicago. Don’t worry though, it’s not boring for nonbusiness people, nor is it too conservative – that would just be too predictable. Its most notable feature is probably its lists of lists that it publishes each year, including Chicago’s Best Places to Work, Who’s Who in Chicago business, Fast Fifty of the city’s fastestgrowing businesses, Tech 50, 20 in their 20s and 40 Under 40.
- Owned by Crain Communications Inc. First published in 1978.
- The Tribune Publishing company’s monthly magazine = concentrates on lifestyle and human-interest stories, and on reviewing restaurants, travel, fashion, and theatre from or nearby Chicago. Motto is “Big City. Big Stories”
- Owned by Tribune Publishing, owner of the Chicago Tribune.
TV & Radio
- The big cable networks are the big 5 here in Chicago: WGN, FOX32, ABC7, NBC5, and CBS2
- WBEZ Radio is pretty baller